Located 7 km north of Bilje, Lug was once a real town on the banks of the Danube, but still quite different from that location (namely, to the 17th century with Lug flowed Danube). Named after the ancient Slavic or Latin “Vlashovo”, was an important place where the Romans once held their fortress (castrum) called “Donatiana”.
Residents of Lug are mostly Hungary.
In the village there is s significant archaeological find from the Roman period. At the site of the present church (1475th), once was a Roman fortress. A Roman monument is walled in on the north side of the church (stone of the Roman legionary Marcus Floviusa Felix). The Catholic Church was damaged and destroyed in 1543. by the Turks. After the expulsion of the Turks in the 17th century, the church came under the Reformed government and administration. The church was damaged in the Homland war, but was rebuilt in 2010. and has a historical park (with a significant locals and people from Hungarian history). Thanks to its preserved architecture and location (between Bilje, Kopački Rit and Kneževi dvori – Wine Route), developed the village of Lug rural tourism with a offer of domestic and ecological.
do not miss !
2009. marked the completion of the reconstruction of the building, the interior of the Christian Reformed Church in Lugu, built in 1475th. In the mid-16th century Mihajlo Starin, Baranja famous reformer, changed almost all Catholics over Calvinism and there are the documents in which he claims that more than seven years, Calvinisam was preached among […]
what else to see …
Kralja Zvonimira 10
T. +385 31 751 480
F. +385 31 751 480
Photography Copyright: Pavo Nikolić, Domagoj Blažević, Damir Rajle
Hrvatska turistička zajednica, Web zajednica Bilje